Feb 29, 2008

On Keely and Du

Hello everyone I am James Dunn, Company member, here at good ol ICT. I just wanted to say a few words about our wonderful new show Keely and Du and a little about the role I play, Cole.

Cole is a rapist, among other things, and was a real challenge to portray. Whenever I play a part I force myself to love at least a very small part of the character, and who they are, warts and all. This allows me to attempt to understand where they are coming from and why they might have done what they have done. For each terrible thing Cole did in the play I forged a string of events that led to that point. All of these things, small and large, let me take the journey with Cole from boy to rapist.

As for the show I strongly urge you to see it and let your thoughts be known here on the blog. This show is full of compassion and can really throw you for a loop no matter how staunchly pro choice or pro life you thought you were. I have heard from friends that have seen it that they've never really ever heard their opposing side (whichever it may be) explained in such a way that the were compelled to listen, as opposed to immediately putting up defenses. This show does that. I can say that this much is true for me as well.

See you at the theatre.

James

No comments: